Monday

Walk To Emmaus-Men's Walk #34

I spent the last weekend in Indian River at the United Methodist Church, serving men "taking their walk" and those on the team. It was a God thing that I was even there.  When I was asked back in July to serve on the walk, I accepted a little hesitantly.  I was only hesitant because A. I knew Trisha was expecting her baby on September 17 and I didn't know how all that would play out.  Two years ago when I was working a walk, I had to leave early because Trisha had Ethan.  B. because we are so busy with my new VA business, youth ministry, The Chosen Conference, work, kids, family, etc. etc., I just didn't think I'd really be "into" spending 4 days away from home, away from the world.  So, as the time approached, sure enough a meeting got scheduled for Chosen the first night of the walk, so I had to arrive at the walk late.  I didn't think it would be a big deal, as I was only scheduled to help in the dining room; I wasn't head of a department or anything.

After the Chosen meeting, I headed to Indian River; it was about 8 or 8:30 when I arrived at the church.  I unloaded my suitcases and headed for the dining room.  As soon as I got there, the head of the dining room, Betty, informed me that I was head now because she just got back from a long trip.  Apparently someone was supposed to contact me to let me know I was going to be the leader of the dining room team. That is why I live by the motto, "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not break". 

I have worked in the dining room several times, as leader and as a team member, but I have never had such an awesome team as this! Sue and Jim were amazing and needed very little instruction.  The awesome board members just went through and totally reorganized everything, including the manuals.  Sue and Jim just looked at the manual and took it from there.  We were able to get everything done an hour or two ahead of schedule! It was amazing and the dining room looked great!

Friday night, Trisha called me and told me she and Ben were fighting, so I told her I'd pray for them.  Well, recently I have been struggling with some stuff from my past.  I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and I've had some thoughts along the lines of, "What if they have the truth; What if what they teach is right and none of this (Christianity) is?" So as I was praying for T & B, I told God; "If you are the God I am supposed to be worshipping and that I am going to the right church and doing the right things, then give me a sign! God, show me some how some way, so I know that what I'm doing it right!"

Saturday morning I got up, had some coffee, awaited the rest of my team to arrive (they all stayed at their homes or with nearby relatives), and got the drink cart ready to serve.  Betty, Sue and I were standing, waiting for the Pilgrims (those taking their walk) to enter.  Frank, one of the pastors helping with the walk, entered.  He headed over to me, stretched out his hands for mine, and started to pray.  In his prayer, he said that I was going to minister to those hurting, that God would show me those who need His comfort. He also said that I "was right where I belong." As soon as I heard those words, I knew God answered my prayer! I was so excited and happy, and felt a huge sense of relief! I knew I was on the right path and I knew that God was guiding and directing me. And I knew that the God I worship is the true God! Frank doesn't know me, and I don't know him. My prayer was silent, so no one else heard it, so it couldn't have been faked.  Only God heard my prayer, and only God answered it!

If you have any doubts about the God I serve, just ask me about all the miraculous things he's done in my life! I don't know why I ever doubted, when I look back at what all he's done in my life, for my kids and my family.  I know it was Satan attacking me, trying to get me to lose my faith in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!!! I love comments!

Ps. 37:4, Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!