Sunday

Personality

Jeff and I attended the Leadership class our church offers usually a couple of times a year. In the past, the class was held one hour a week over a 12 or 14 week period. But, this year they decided to try something different and have it over a weekend, 3 hours on Friday night, then from 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday. I say that worked much better for Jeff especially. He tried to take the class last time they had it over the extended period, but his work schedule interferred too much and he was only able to make it to a few of the classes.

The class involves and is based on John Maxwell's leadership videos, a workbook, a personality test from Personality Plus and a Spiritual Giftings test. It was really a refresher course for me, because I took it back in 2001, but it was a good refresher. And, I would recommend anyone who has taken it quite a few years ago, to re-take it, especially if they're not a natural-born leader like me. Or, even if they are, they should still take a refresher course, because there are some really good lessons taught for leading in the church or ministry, and in business as well.

The point of this post is about the Personality test. When I took it 7 years ago, I tested Sanguine, which for the most part was true, then, and is now my secondary personality trait. They say that most people have a dominate trait and then a close 2nd. When I tested this time, I tested Choleric. My scores for Choleric were 15 and my scores for Sanguine were 10. So, I'm not a high Choleric, and I scored a 9 as a Melancholy, just one point below my Sanguine score of 10.

What I think all this means is: (My melacholy analyzing everything!)

  • Because of my childhood circumstances, I buried my Choleric personality and my Sanguine took over, because I was too afraid to speak out.
  • I married a Choleric (control freak) because that was what I was used to (having someone control me)
  • Over the last few years, my Choleric personality has begun to emerge, especially in the work place.
  • God brought a wonderful Phlegmatic / Melancholy into my life (Jeff), which has allowed my true personality to shine.

Now, I realize that there are strengths and weaknesses to all personalities, so I'm going to point out both from mine:

Choleric Strengths that I have:

Emotions:

Dynamic and active
Compulsive need for change
Must correct wrongs
Strong-willed and decisive
Not easily discouraged
Independent and self-sufficient
Can run anything

At Work:

Goal oriented
Sees the whole picture
Organizes well
Seeks practical solutions
Moves quickly to action
Delegates work
Insists on production
Makes the goal
Stimulates activity

As a Parent:

Exerts sound leadership
Establishes goals
Motivates family to action
Knows the right answer
Organizes household

As a Friend:

Will work for group activity
Will lead and organize
Is usually right
Excels in emergencies

My Choleric Weaknesses:

Emotions:

Bossy
Impatient

At Work:

Little tolerance for mistakes
May make rash decisions
May be rude or tactless
End justifies the means
Demands loyalty in the ranks

As a Parent:

Tend to overdominate
Gives answers too quickly
Impatient with poor performance

As a Friend:

Knows everything
Is too independent

My Sanguine Strengths:

Emotions:

Appealing personality
Good sense of humor
Memory of color
Physically holds on to listener
Emotional and demonstrative
Enthusiastic and expressive
Cheerful and bubbling over
Curious
Wide-eyed and innocent
Lives in the present
Changeable disposition
Sincere at heart
Always a child

At Work:

Thinks up new activities
Looks great on the surface
Has energy and enthusiasm
Start in a flashy way
Inspires other to join
Charms other to work

As a Parent:

Makes home fun
Is liked by children’s friends
Turns disaster into humor

As a Friend:

Makes friends easily
Loves people
Thrives on compliments
Seems exciting
Envied by others
Doesn’t hold grudges
Apologizes quickly
Prevents dull moments
Likes spontaneous activities

My Sanguine Weaknesses:

Emotions:

Too happy for some
Has restless energy
Naïve, gets taken in
Has loud voice and laugh
Controlled by circumstances
Seems phony to some
Never grows up

At Work:

Would rather talk
Decides by feelings

As a Parent:

Doesn’t listen to
the whole story

As a Friend:

Wants to be popular
Looks for credit
Answers for others

So, what does all this mean??? Basically, I get the job done, but still have fun! LOL!

2 comments:

  1. I should do another personality test and see if I score any differently now. I've always been high in the melancholy area (as if my friends don't know that already...LOL) and then come in 2nd in sanguine area.

    I definitely see you as more choleric than you used to be, but that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it is really that good of a thing, especially for my family...I'm so bossy!!! I really have to try to let my sanguine rule sometimes so I don't sound so mean! Karlie (Choleric also) always points out my bossiness, and then we argue! 2 Cholerics don't usually mix well! But thank goodness both of our secondary's are Sanguine, although, Karlie's 2nd could be Melancholy with Sanguine a close 3rd. She'd have to take the full test to really determine. But, yah, you should retake it. I think you are still pretty much Melancholy, then Sanguine, like you said, but it never hurts. And the older we get, or changes in our lives, can produce personality changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!!! I love comments!

Ps. 37:4, Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!